qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Use of content-type in AMQP 1.0
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2014 10:41:59 GMT
On 09/10/2014 07:50 PM, Rob Godfrey wrote:
> one shouldn't assume that the content-type /
> content-encoding will be any more visible to the end user than the
> descriptor of a described type

The content-type is a message property. Message properties are a very
well understood concept, supported by all previous versions of AMQP as
well as other protocols and APIs both open and proprietary.

AMQP 1.0 descriptors are pretty specific to that protocol.

So in practice I think content-type will in general be much more likely
to be visible than descriptors of described types.

Any API that didn't make the content-type accessible in some way would
be worse off for it. Any system that relied on the exchange of
descriptors from within an amqp-value section would reduce the
likelihood of interoperability.