qpid-users mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Add qmf shutdown command to the broker [was Re: QPID C++ - Dynamically Managing Broker]
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2014 20:10:12 GMT
On Thu, 2014-09-18 at 15:12 -0700, Spencer.Doak wrote:
> Hey Gordon,
>
> Thank you very much! That should give me a great start on this task.
>
> As for the 'shutdown' command, that's actually exactly what I was thinking
> too. I'm thinking about running a receiver process on the broker machine.
> When it receives a message that says "shutdown" from an authenticated user,
> it will perform 'system("/sbin/service qpid-stop");' or whatever the
> relevant OS command is. In your opinion, is this a reasonable way to
> accomplish this task? Would there perhaps be a better way than creating a
> system call?

Not presently. I've long thought we should have a qmf shutdown command
on the broker but never actually did anything about it. Mucking about
with extra processes is painful for such a basic task.

There is a denial of service security concern, my feeling is that adding
a "shutdown" permission to the ACL rules would cover that.

Anyone think this is a bad idea, or have a better idea?