qpid-users mailing list archives

From "xiaodan.wang" <xiaodan.w...@salesforce.com>
Subject Re: Synchronous consumer can only dequeue 1 message in AMQP 0-91
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2014 17:13:48 GMT
Looks like I replied before seeing your followup :)

> To expand a little further... The behaviour I'm thinking about for 0-9-1
> would be that on a synchronous session, every time you call receive() the
> client opens up the credit window enough for you to receive a message if
> there isn't currently credit enough to get the message.  At the point a
> commit occurs (on a transacted session), or an acknowledge (on a client
> ack
> session), the window is reduced again such that no new messages will be
> prefetched until a receive is called...

And also if the window could be reduced when "receive" times out, mainly to
prevent a message that arrives after we've started working on the previously
dequeued set of message.

> The other (potentially simpler for me, but hackier) possibility would be
> provide some way of allowing you to manually flex the prefetch size on an
> individual session... this would probably require casting into a qpid
> specific class for you so you could directly manipulate the session
> object.

Would the manual re-sizing be done dynamically or only at session creation
time? For us, over-sizing (setting prefetch of 10 when there are only 8
messages at the moment) could lead to the starvation of late arrival
messages mentioned above.

Cheers! Dan