qpid-users mailing list archives

From "Adams, Cory" <coad...@paypal.com.INVALID>
Subject RE: Which java drivers to use
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2014 16:18:48 GMT
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

We would like to utilize amqp 1.0.  If the proton-j libs will be the future path can you share
where the dev effort is with regard to flushing out proton-j?  I see very little documentation
other than the examples pulled from the Recv.py and Send.py python examples.  Additionally
I could not find a straight forward way for implementing an async listener with the proton-j
classes.

When using the qpid-amqp-1-0-client against both the dispatch router and qpid cpp broker I
found performance to be relatively slow compared to say the swiftmq driver (the swiftmq driver
had other issues).

Sorry for such a winding response but I am looking for insight with regard to where we might
focus our efforts from a Java driver usage standpoint when considering using amqp 1.0.

Thank you,

Cory

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Godfrey [mailto:rob.j.godfrey@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2014 4:14 AM
To: users@qpid.apache.org
Subject: Re: Which java drivers to use

Hi Cory,

The qpid-client/qpid-common JMS client speaks the AMQP 0-8/0-9/0-9-1 and
0-10 protocols.  As such it can be used against any broker that speaks these protocols (the
Qpid Java Broker, the Qpid C++ Broker, RabbitMQ (with a bit of fiddling about) etc).

The  qpid-amqp-1-0-client-jms, qpid-amqp-1-0-client, qpid-amqp-1-0-common client speaks AMQP
1.0.  Intermediaries which speak AMQP 1.0 include the Qpid Java Broker, the Qpid C++ Broker,
the Dispatch Router, ActiveMQ, Microsoft ServiceBus, SwiftMQ and others

Proton is an effort to build standard libraries for communicating using the AMQP 1.0 protocol.
 There is currently no full JMS client built using Proton within the Qpid codebase - though
work is underway on building one.
 In time this will probably replace the  qpid-amqp-1-0-client-jms client.

In terms of recommendations it obviously depends on which version of the protocol you wish
to speak and which brokers you wish to connect with.  If you are only planning to connect
with brokers which speak AMQP 0-x then qpid-client/qpid-common is certainly a more mature
(and better documented) library.  AMQP 1.0 is more widely adopted as a protocol, but the client
is certainly less mature, and there is little to no documentation currently (however if you
are just using standard JMS functionality then there should not be a huge issue).

Hope this helps,
Rob