qpid-users mailing list archives

From Justin Ross <jr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 0.30 release update - alpha is available
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2014 19:18:23 GMT
On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 9:04 AM, Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemmell@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I still havent got round to using the output, but inspecting the structure
> of whats there I had a few comments (that unfortunately got really long
> :P).
>
> The Short Version:
>
> - We need to start building the QMF2 bits.

As you note below, this needs a bit more work from a release standpoint.
 Right now it produces four different jars.

> - Do we need a duplicate java source artifact?

To start, I'm fine removing it.  It's easy either way.

However, I want to argue well for what I consider its merits.  I don't
recall participating in the original debate.

 - Java is the oddball here.  Almost everything else has its own source
tarball.
 - To a point, It's nice for people to be able to get what they want and
just what they want, without downloading a bunch of other stuff.
 - The java source tarball on offer corresponds directly to the java build
system entry point, making it one cohesive source module.

If duplication is the chief concern, I'd personally be more in favor of
getting rid of the "full release" tarball and simply point folks at
subversion for that.  I'd add that I favor the move to  independently
releasable modules, and I'd love to see that happen as soon as we're all
ready (I am).

Justin