qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Subject 'filters' (was Re: couple of proton Messenger questions.)
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2014 10:48:02 GMT
On 08/03/2014 02:23 PM, Fraser Adams wrote:
> I can subscribe to receive messages from a simple Node address but say I
> want to subscribe to a particular subject say amq.topic/UK.WEATHER and
> the like, that's pretty easy via an Address String in qpid::Messaging or
> JMS but it still doesn't seem possible with Messenger?

The c++ broker currently handles subject based filtering like this
through an AMQP 1.0 'filter'[1], since these extensions were already
registered and it seemed at the time to be the most obvious
interpretation of the core spec's intent.

However, I've been thinking that it would make sense to add support for
passing the subject 'filter' as part of the source address as well. I
believe the java broker already does this and it seems in reality to be
the more common pattern (e.g. ActiveMQ and RabbitMQ)[2]. This pattern
doesn't require any special client support for setting filters.

[1] specifically the 'legacy-amqp filters from
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/qpid/trunk/qpid/specs/apache-filters.xml?view=markup

[2] For 'exact match' semantics the same pattern would work against the
Dispatch Router as well.