qpid-users mailing list archives

From Fraser Adams <fraser.ad...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: How to test the performance quid c++ broker
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2014 16:31:22 GMT
On 24/07/14 13:59, Alan Conway wrote:

> Very important point I forgot to mention: are you doing a release
> build?
>
> cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
>
> That makes a big difference. It enables optimization flags for the C++
> compiler. The default is not optimized.

Alan,
I've mentioned this before, but I remain unconvinced that the default
should be for an unoptimised build. I totally realise that seems to be
"the CMake way", but it always used to be the case under automake that
the default was something reasonably optimised.

If it turns out that your suggestion is indeed the cause of the
discrepancy I think that would back up the view that *at the very least*
the documentation for doing the build should mention this and if there
is still a general view to default to the unoptimised I actually think
that the CMake for qpid and proton should display a warning to remind
users that they are using an unoptimised build.

Frase