qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: messaging API Connection open but Session in error
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2014 19:38:25 GMT
On 06/09/2014 08:05 PM, CLIVE wrote:
> Basically, the session is being used by several other senders/receivers,
> so just being able to reset the session saves a lot of hassle. My patch
> was to add a resetSessions method on the qpid::messaging::Connection
> class, which resets any sessions that are in error. I also added a
> resetSession on the qpid::messaging::Session class. I was unsure whether
> to add a resetSession method that took a Session name parameter. In the
> end I decided against it.

I think a reset() method on the Session would be the clearest. I don't
object to having the resetSessions() on a Connection as well.

> Interestingly as part of this work I looked at the
> ConnectionImpl::newSession implementation
> (src/qpid/client/amqp0_10/ConnectionImpl.cpp). I saw that the current
> implementation of this method just overwrites an existing session with
> the same name. Not sure that this is quite right as this would infer
> that any Senders/Receivers associated with the previous Session would
> get closed and not associated with the newly created named session. I
> would of expected the newSession implementation to throw an exception if
> a Session with the same name already existed, but perhaps I am just
> missing something.

I agree with you, the current behaviour sounds wrong. Must just have
been an oversight.

> I will also be adding another posting about several issues I have
> discovered with the qpid::messaging::Sender implementation. I am just
> writing the boost unit tests so that I can attach the code that
> exercises the issues. In summary they are
>
> - TTL on a message does not get adjusted when stored in the outgoing
> Sender queue and the queue cannot be emptied due to broker unavailability.
> - getUnsettled segmentation error when called with no connection to
> broker but messages in the Sender outgoing queue (fine with zero size
> outbound queue).
> - Session::checkError, can throw NotAttachedException which ultimately
> extends from qpid::Exception, but I cannot find qpid::Exception in the
> installation directory. I have qpid::types::Exception and
> qpid::messaging::Exception.
> - Inconsistent behavior of Sender when Broker not connected. When
> sending a message an Exception occurs, as no connection, but messages
> are still placed in outbound queue up until the Sender is flushed
> ('window < Capacity/4' , not sure where the 4 comes from). At this point
> any further sent messages still cause an exception, but messages do not
> get placed in the outbound queue. Varying the capacity varies when this
> occurs and so doesn't seem correct.

Very helpful summary! It would be great to get a JIRA[1] for all of
those, thanks for reporting these!

> Happy to try and submit, not something I have done before with QPID.
> What is the best way to go about it?

Create a JIRA[1] and attach a patch to that.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID