qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Subject Filtering with Queues
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2014 14:02:35 GMT
On 06/06/2014 02:16 PM, Chris Wj wrote:
> Actually, I have experience using RabbitMQ, which uses 0.9.1. This is my
> first time working with QPID. I'm trying to figure out the most forward
> compatible (c++ or java broker) way for client programs to ensure that the
> exchange and queues that receive certain types of message are created and
> durable. My desired pattern is to have a job queue that can be sent
> messages with routing keys or subjects that can be filtered (IE.
> news.sports, news.world, etc.) and have one for priority as well (IE.
> consume from the priority queue first, then the normal task queue),
> Although I recently noticed the priority queue support and I think that
> would be great to utilize.
>
> Basically I want the clients to be able to take tasks with a given subject,
> but first take the highest priority tasks.

So you want clients processing the same subject to compete for messages?
I.e. a message for news.world would go to exactly one subscriber, not be
copied to all?

How dynamic do you need the subjects to be? Will a given client only
ever process one subject, or might they process many? In the latter case
would there be any relative ordering requirements?