qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Client APIs and AMQP 1.0 (was Re: Using the messenger API to connect to a server without sending or subscribing)
Date Thu, 22 May 2014 08:33:03 GMT
On 05/21/2014 10:50 PM, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-05-21 at 22:02 +0100, Gordon Sim wrote:
>> So here is an initial, non-exhaustive list of current shortcomings from
>> me. Please all feel free to add to and correct this.
>>
>> qpid::messaging
>>
>> * boost dependency
> - This is a library dependency only*. And is no different in kind from
> its libuuid, cyrus-sasl or NSS dependency

I highlighted boost because its generally the one people have expressed
unhappiness with (mostly back in the old qpid::client era) and
represents the biggest difference in regards to dependencies as compared
to Messenger.

The cyrus-sasl and NSS dependencies are optional (though you get limited
sasl and no ssl without them). These choices will be the same fro proton
as well. The libuuid dependency is I think the least problematic and
again that is also needed by proton I believe.

> - In fact it is conceivable to
> remove boost if we want to put the effort into it.

Yes. Indeed, all the limitations I listed could be remedied if the
requisite effort was expended. The aim was not to list intrinsic defects
of the APIs, but simply to present the current snapshot of things that
may hinder users.

>> * limited to windows and linux
>
> It will build/run on FreeBSD and OSX too (and probably other
> BSDs/Unixes). Due to the heavyweight dependencies and internal threading
> it would be a challenge to put on an embedded system.

Ah, good to know! Thanks for the correction.