qpid-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Client APIs and AMQP 1.0 (was Re: Using the messenger API to connect to a server without sending or subscribing)
Date Wed, 21 May 2014 21:50:46 GMT
On Wed, 2014-05-21 at 22:02 +0100, Gordon Sim wrote:
> So here is an initial, non-exhaustive list of current shortcomings from
> me. Please all feel free to add to and correct this.
>
> qpid::messaging
>
> * boost dependency
- This is a library dependency only*. And is no different in kind from
its libuuid, cyrus-sasl or NSS dependency - In fact it is conceivable to
remove boost if we want to put the effort into it.

> * limited to windows and linux

It will build/run on FreeBSD and OSX too (and probably other
BSDs/Unixes). Due to the heavyweight dependencies and internal threading
it would be a challenge to put on an embedded system.

> * requires thread per session
> * can't be integrated into existing event loop
> * can't handle incoming connections
> * no support for transactions
> * sasl support in windows very limited

* Meaning you need to have the boost header/library present to build
qpid::messaging but only the library present to use it. Boost is most
problematic on Windows where there is no easy packaging for it.

Andrew