qpid-users mailing list archives

From Justin Ross <jr...@apache.org>
Subject 0.28 release update - Alpha is available
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2014 12:00:09 GMT
Hi, everyone.

After too much delay (very much my own doing), 0.28 alpha is ready for
evaluation.

  https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/0.28-alpha/
  http://people.apache.org/~jross/maven-0.28-alpha/
  http://people.apache.org/~jross/qpid-0.28-alpha-testing.txt

It's from revision 1574236 of trunk.  My testing shows failures in the
cpp tests.

Please take note that this is an alpha release.  It must be used only
for testing.

As of 0.28, I'm using new scripting to generate releases (more on this
in a subsequent mail).  As a result, there may be problems.  If so,
please let me know and I'll spin new alpha distributions to address
them.

I've also made a few changes to the release artefacts:

 - The top-level directory of each archive is now of the form
qpid-$MODULE-$RELEASE, matching the archive name.  This was already
true in many cases before.  I made it apply everywhere.

 - The top-level dir in the python archive is now the qpid/python/
dir.  It used to be a synthetic root containing qpid/python/ and
qpid/specs/, but the content  of specs had been incorporated into the
python tree in previous releases and is no longer needed.

 - The perl and python binding archives are removed.  They were
synthetic derivations from the cpp source.  Packagers of these
bindings should use the authoritative cpp artefact instead.  See
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-5550 for more information.

As an aside, one change I considered making was to repurpose
qpid-java-VERSION.tar.gz as a source archive and introduce
qpid-java-all-VERSION.tar.gz as the binary distro of client+server (in
other words, what qpid-java- is now).  If that's desirable, I can
change it for beta in 0.28 or introduce it in the next release.

Please test the 0.28 distro and tell me how it goes.

Thanks,
Justin

---
0.28 release page: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/0.28+Release