qpid-users mailing list archives

From Pavel Moravec <pmora...@redhat.com>
Subject Message auditing in C++ broker
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2014 09:27:57 GMT
Hi all,
I raised QPID-5619 to implement message auditing in C++ broker. As a new feature with more
options of implementation and mainly configuration, I would like to discuss it first. Quoting
the JIRA for discussion:

There is a reasonable request to have message enqueue/dequeue audited. It can help troubleshooting
or monitoring situations when the broker is suspected from discarding a message that was sent
to it but never received by a consumer.

Implementation options as to be discussed in qpid users mailing list:

1) Key feature:
a) where to store/send the information about new message enqueue/dequeue?
  - store it in a configurable log-file (per queue? per broker?) - problem with format of
binary data there
  - amend/modify replicated queues for this purpose - though replicated queues are designed
not to replicate messages that are dequeued before they have been replicated
  - generate QMF event to be sent to "qmf.default.topic/agent.ind.event.org_apache_qpid_broker.<queue_name>.audit.<enqueue|dequeue>"
topic - note this would have to change qpid.subject to route the message properly
  - have dedicated audit exchange for this purpose (of topic type, I expect) - again, qpid.subject
would have to be changed

b) how to trigger message auditing:
  - via QueueObserver (thanks Gordon for idea)

2) Options of auditing:
a) audit enqueue+dequeue events only? or also acquire, release, reject?
b) it should be possible to track only one from    enqueue | dequeue | acquire   events, or
all of them
c) event/message should contain:
  - timestamp
  - original message (or just its header? or configurable?)
  - type of event (enqueue/dequeue/..)
  - identification of consumer acquiring/dequeueing the message (and also producer?)

3) Provisioning/managing auditing:
a) have the possibility to turn on/off auditing per queue (via QMF)
b) have some x-declare arguments for the auditing when declaring the queue?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Kind regards,
Pavel