qpid-users mailing list archives

From Fraser Adams <fraser.ad...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject question on Proton memory management
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2014 08:20:09 GMT
I mentioned the other day about the lack of API documentation for things
like message and codec/data

It'd be really useful to have documentation for at least the non-obvious
calls.

One thing I'm currently struggling with is understanding the
ownership/responsibility for the memory of items that consume or return
pn_bytes_t

What I *think* is the case is that for say pn_data_get_binary if I were
applying that to say the message body then it refers to memory that is
*owned* by the message, so I could access the bytes pointed to by
bytes.start whilst the message was in scope and I wouldn't need to do
any explicit free of bytes.start, however if I wanted to retain that
data I'd have to copy the data into my own buffer before I did say
pn_messenger_get again into the same message instance.

I guess in the case of data retrieval I'm asking if I don't generally
need to explicitly free the underlying data from a pn_bytes_t because
it's owned by the underlying message (or pn_data if I'm doing lower
level things).

So what about the reverse case? If I'm going to do pn_data_put_binary I
clearly need to create a pn_bytes_t and the start pointer for that would
likely be a block of memory that I've malloc'd - so at which point is
the ownership of that data "transferred" so that I can free my client
side buffer? I'm *guessing* that pn_data_put_binary copies the data from
the byte array pointed to by the pn_bytes_t start somewhere into the
underlying pn_data_t but that's only an assumption on my part because
that behaviour seems to make logical sense to me, it's far from clear
that this is what is actually going own.

Clearly understanding ownership of dynamically allocated memory is
pretty important for application efficiency (I'd like to avoid
unnecessary copies) and correctness (I definitely want to avoid leaks)
and this sort of thing gets even more important to understand if one
ends up passing or retrieving more complex data structures such as maps
or lists that might contain binary elements.

MTIA
Frase