qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Qpid dependency of proton versions
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2014 16:24:05 GMT
On 03/26/2014 04:07 PM, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-03-26 at 15:27 +0000, Gordon Sim wrote:

>>> I just realised that it is possible my changes to proton went in *after*
>>> rc1. In which case 0.28 will not work with it, as the changes to proton
>>> and qpid need to be in step. As Rafi didn't tag the release candidate I
>>> can't easily tell from source control.
>>>
>>> My changes went into proton at r1577978 which was the change after the
>>> version number bump.
>>>
>>> If that is correct you will need to use trunk proton until rc2.
>>

>> What about the pkg-config based build? I thought you said that would
>> still work? It doesn't seem to.
>
> That may have been talking at cross purposes. I was talking from the
> proton end there - ie proton is still exporting the pkgconfig files so
> any previous build that used those will still work (so previous qpid
> builds that used the pkgconfig files will still work against newer
> proton installs).
>
> I have changed the qpid build so that it no longer uses the pkg-config
> files, but only the natve cmake config files. This radically simplified
> the cmake logic, and made it actually readable, and idiomatic.
>
>> Are you saying that 0.28 will only build against proton trunk, not
>> against 0.5 and 0.6 as it did before? If so that seems an unnecessary
>> restriction to me.
>
> It is very annoying that the current rc doesn't have the new files and
> this was unintentional, hopefully we can get rc2 out soon.
>
> Given that this will be fixed very soon, I think it is a temporary
> annoyance and no more. I'm not sure that there is a long term reason to
> have qpid build against earlier versions of proton once 0.7 is released.
>
> Is your concern long term or short term?

I don't think it is appropriate at this point to break building trunk
against existing working versions of proton or to have a 0.28 beta that
can only build against proton trunk, especially for what seems to be
essentially a cosmetic change (as good as I'm sure that change is).

At the very least this required informed discussion. Your announcement
of this change had the subject 'Additional options to detect Proton and
Qpid' and stated:

"Note that the existing pkgconfig files are unchanged, so if you were
using pkg config to detect proton or qpid you won't be affected."

(pkg-config) you stated:

"Ths pkg config methods are unchanged so there's nothing to report
there. I've fixed up the qpid build myself, and so this change has
really only added an additional (cross platform) way to detect proton."

That thread began with your request to extend support to 0.7, albeit
with a warning that it was not tested, explicitly stating that it would
allow 0.5 or later.