qpid-users mailing list archives

From Fraser Adams <fraser.ad...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Proton's new async features - any examples? 'cause I'm scratching my head!
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2014 15:38:05 GMT
Hey folks,
I've noticed that PROTON-525/531/534 cover work to expose some bits of
messenger that were previously internal and allow messenger to be driven
from an external poll/select/epoll.

I'm quite interested in this from the perspective of the JavaScript
bindings that I'm working on, but to be honest I'm currently left
scratching my head trying to figure out how the new APIs are intended to
work.

I don't suppose that there are any examples available?

I currently have a recv-async.c and send-async.c (attached) they are
still a bit hacky as they are currently work in progress as I push the
necessary features into emscripten (the C->JavaScript compiler I'm
using) but they both work in either native C or JavaScript (the
emscripten_set_network_callback gets triggered by WebSocket activity and
allows fully async behaviour, so I don't need any nasty polling).

I've just merged the latest proton-c stuff to the branch I'm working on
for the JavaScript bindings and everything is still working nicely with
the current approach, but I'm guessing that the new capabilities might
be able to make things more efficient?

I'm currently working on actual binding code, so I can call messenger
direct from native JavaScript as opposed to compiling C/C++ into
JavaScript, so far it has got a lot of parallels with the python
bindings - though clearly only async stuff makes any sense for JavaScript.

I'd really appreciate tips and code samples from the folks who have been
working on this API.

Cheers,
Frase