qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Qpid dependency of proton versions
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2014 10:02:36 GMT
On 03/14/2014 04:18 AM, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-03-13 at 20:44 +0000, Gordon Sim wrote:
>>> I'd like to change the check for proton to be simply (after my new work
>>> which should be going into Proton 0.7):
>>>
>>> find_package(Proton 0.5)
>>
>> My only concern with an open ended dependency is around any future
>> incompatible changes. If that is considered to be unlikely enough not to
>> be a concern, then I don't object.
>>

> I guess Rafi really has to answer that particular query. Although for me
> it looks like the interfaces are fairly stable.
>
> Do you think it would be sufficient to print a warning if the version of
> proton is untested because the version is too high? Then the user would
> be warned, but the compile would still happen and could try the result.

Yes, that would be fine.

>> As to changing the cmake approach, I'm happy as long as it keeps working
>> (both against non-standard locations, via pkg-config and on windows).
>>

> My intent is to literally just require "find_package(Proton)" to
> discover Proton in a cmake build. this will be modulated with the usual
> options to find_package() - This should work equally well on all cmake
> platforms and will automatically detect correctly in the usual system
> installed locations or in the install prefix. If the install is
> elsewhere then you can specify CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH to point to the proton
> install root.
>
> With this change to proton and qpid then it will work well for custom
> builds to use the same install prefix for both.
>
> For other build types (say autoconf) then the pkgconfig files will still
> be there.

The _cmake_ build currently uses pkgconfig and I rely on that for
testing against non-standard installs via PKG_CONFIG_PATH

That's not to say it can't change, as long as the same ability to simply
build against a non-standard install remains there and the change when
it happens is documented/publicised on this list.