qpid-users mailing list archives

From Fraser Adams <fraser.ad...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: Send messages from one queue to another queue?
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2014 17:50:48 GMT
Don't know if you noticed my post yesterday about the move/purge/reroute
stuff being available via the QMF GUI?

Gordon beat me to the main source of documentation, which is the
management-schema.xml though unfortunately that *may* not necessarily be
enough to do anything useful - most of the QMF methods take Maps of
properties as formal parameters so the CRUD <type> <name> stuff is
probably obvious but the remaining information that's generally needed
much less so.

As an example the properties usually needed when say creating a queue or
information relating to the filter when moving/rerouting messages.

You've never said in your posts what language you are most interested
in. We've provided some hopefully useful responses to you, but your
original question was asking "I would like to use something like Zabbix
(www.zabbix.com) for QPID monitoring" now I think that the QMF GUI et.
al. are pretty good, but they are serving a different purpose than the
one implied by this original question so I'm thinking that to interface
with Zabbix (which I know nothing about) you are going to have to write
your own QMF console application and how you go about that will vary
depending on your language of preference (whatever plugs best into
Zabbix I presume).

With Python or Java things are fairly simple I'd say that your best bet
would be to look at the python qpid-config or the Java port QpidConfig
the getObjects call is likely to be your friend - queueListRecurse and
exchangeListRecurse in those shows the more common use cases and my
ConnectionAudit shows how do do some slightly fancier things.

If you have to write a C++ client it's a little harder, there you
generally have to write QMF protocol Map Messages directly although as
it happens the QMF GUI is backed by a REST API (QpidRestAPI which you've
already come across) and you can do everything via REST. I've attached a
couple of emails that I put out onto the list to help out Davin Shearer
a few weeks back (I really need to add that stuff to the README)
hopefully that will help you out - it illustrates quite a lot of
low-level QMF method invocation and I suspect contains more detail than
anything else. The second attached mail also contains a couple of
examples from Gordon on how to prod the QMF protocol natively from C++.

I have to add the usual caveat that Qpid Management is likely to start
undergoing a period of flux. For AMQP 1.0 there is a Management Protocol
that is currently under work (updates get regularly posted to the user
list). It has a number of similarities to QMF, but equally is somewhat
different. I've spent some time looking at it but I've not yet had time
to properly sit down and work out what it means from the perspective of
"how the heck to we *migrate*" Management tooling. I don't there's an
identified strategy yet around whether we try to be clever and have
tools that can work with either QMF or AMQP 1.0 Management or whether we
"clone" the existing tools with the same user API and features but
different implementations. It's probably too early to call on that at
the moment, but I always feel compelled to mention that this is on the
horizon because if you are building a mission critical system you're
going to want to make sure that you mention this in your documentation
around monitoring and make sure that you (or someone) maintain a
watching brief as things evolve.

I really wouldn't want to put you off, but knowledge of this will
probably have implications for your design choices and general due
diligence.

Best regards,
Frase

On 13/03/14 12:08, Jan Bares wrote:
> Thanks Gordon, that is exactly what I was looking for.
>
> Kind regards, Jan

and regulated by the CNB as Home State regulator and in Poland by the KNF, in Slovakia by
the NBS and in the UK by the FCA as Host State regulators. For further information about WOOD
& Co., its investment services, financial instruments and associated risks, safeguard
client assets (incl. compensation schemes) and contractual relationship please see our website
at www.wood.com<http://www.wood.com/> under section Corporate Governance.
>           Unless otherwise stated, this transmission is neither an offer nor the solicitation
of an offer to sell or purchase any investment. All estimates, opinions and other information
contained herein are subject to change without notice and are provided in good faith but without
legal responsibility or liability. Opinion may be personal to the author and may not reflect
the opinions of WOOD & Co. Communications from sales persons, sales traders or traders
should not be regarded as investment research and may contain opinions or trading ideas which
are different from WOOD & Co. investment research opinions.
>           This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged or otherwise
protected from disclosure. If you are not a named addressee you must not use, disclose, distribute,
copy, print or rely on this e-mail and any of its attachments. Please notify the sender that
you have received this email by mistake by replying to the email, and then delete the email
and any copies of it. Although WOOD & Co. routinely screens e-mails for viruses, addressees
should scan this e-mail and any attachments for viruses. WOOD & Co. makes no representation
or warranty as to the absence of viruses in this e-mail or any attachments. Please note that
to ensure regulatory compliance and for the protection of our clients and business, we may
monitor and read e-mails sent to and from our server(s).