qpid-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Qpid dependency of proton versions
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2014 16:07:20 GMT
On Wed, 2014-03-26 at 15:27 +0000, Gordon Sim wrote:
> On 03/26/2014 03:10 PM, Andrew Stitcher wrote:

> >> This is a leftover from a pre 0.7 build and is confusing the detection.
> >>
> >> If you remove the install area completely and make install proton again
> >> it should work. I don't think the file proton-config.cmake made it into
> >> a proton release so there should only be a small number of people
> >> affected by this problem.
> >>
> >> Let me know if this didn't fix the problem and I will look at it some
> >> more.
> >
> > I just realised that it is possible my changes to proton went in *after*
> > rc1. In which case 0.28 will not work with it, as the changes to proton
> > and qpid need to be in step. As Rafi didn't tag the release candidate I
> > can't easily tell from source control.
> >
> > My changes went into proton at r1577978 which was the change after the
> > version number bump.
> >
> > If that is correct you will need to use trunk proton until rc2.
>

> What about the pkg-config based build? I thought you said that would
> still work? It doesn't seem to.

That may have been talking at cross purposes. I was talking from the
proton end there - ie proton is still exporting the pkgconfig files so
any previous build that used those will still work (so previous qpid
builds that used the pkgconfig files will still work against newer
proton installs).

I have changed the qpid build so that it no longer uses the pkg-config
files, but only the natve cmake config files. This radically simplified
the cmake logic, and made it actually readable, and idiomatic.

> Are you saying that 0.28 will only build against proton trunk, not
> against 0.5 and 0.6 as it did before? If so that seems an unnecessary
> restriction to me.

It is very annoying that the current rc doesn't have the new files and
this was unintentional, hopefully we can get rc2 out soon.

Given that this will be fixed very soon, I think it is a temporary
annoyance and no more. I'm not sure that there is a long term reason to
have qpid build against earlier versions of proton once 0.7 is released.

Is your concern long term or short term?

Andrew