qpid-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Qpid dependency of proton versions
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2014 18:49:46 GMT
On Fri, 2014-03-14 at 10:02 +0000, Gordon Sim wrote:

> >> My only concern with an open ended dependency is around any future
> >> incompatible changes. If that is considered to be unlikely enough not to
> >> be a concern, then I don't object.
> >>

> > I guess Rafi really has to answer that particular query. Although for me
> > it looks like the interfaces are fairly stable.
> >
> > Do you think it would be sufficient to print a warning if the version of
> > proton is untested because the version is too high? Then the user would
> > be warned, but the compile would still happen and could try the result.
>
> Yes, that would be fine.

Ok that is what I have done.

> >> As to changing the cmake approach, I'm happy as long as it keeps working
> >> (both against non-standard locations, via pkg-config and on windows).

> The _cmake_ build currently uses pkgconfig and I rely on that for
> testing against non-standard installs via PKG_CONFIG_PATH

I've just changed this so that it uses the cmake config files instead.

> That's not to say it can't change, as long as the same ability to simply
> build against a non-standard install remains there and the change when
> it happens is documented/publicised on this list.

Ths pkg config methods are unchanged so there's nothing to report there.
I've fixed up the qpid build myself, and so this change has really only
added an additional (cross platform) way to detect proton.

I will send a message here though telling everyone that their lives
might now be simpler :) - Thank you for the prod though - I really
should have remembered to do it without prompting :(

Andrew