qpid-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Qpid dependency of proton versions
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2014 04:18:02 GMT
On Thu, 2014-03-13 at 20:44 +0000, Gordon Sim wrote:
> > I'd like to change the check for proton to be simply (after my new work
> > which should be going into Proton 0.7):
> >
> > find_package(Proton 0.5)
>
> My only concern with an open ended dependency is around any future
> incompatible changes. If that is considered to be unlikely enough not to
> be a concern, then I don't object.

I guess Rafi really has to answer that particular query. Although for me
it looks like the interfaces are fairly stable.

Do you think it would be sufficient to print a warning if the version of
proton is untested because the version is too high? Then the user would
be warned, but the compile would still happen and could try the result.

> As to changing the cmake approach, I'm happy as long as it keeps working
> (both against non-standard locations, via pkg-config and on windows).

My intent is to literally just require "find_package(Proton)" to
discover Proton in a cmake build. this will be modulated with the usual
options to find_package() - This should work equally well on all cmake
platforms and will automatically detect correctly in the usual system
installed locations or in the install prefix. If the install is
elsewhere then you can specify CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH to point to the proton
install root.

With this change to proton and qpid then it will work well for custom
builds to use the same install prefix for both.

For other build types (say autoconf) then the pkgconfig files will still
be there.

Andrew