qpid-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Novice questions regarding dispatch routers and brokers +++
Date Mon, 24 Feb 2014 17:42:25 GMT
On 02/24/2014 12:51 PM, Tor Rune Skoglund wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> we are setting up an AMQP messaging infrastructure using Qpid (currently
> using proton and the dispatch router, not the broker). This is the basic
> set-up:
>
> * We have a server side, with a public, known IP-address and port.
> * We have X number of clients going on/off the net at unpredictable
> times and intervals. These clients may be NAT'ed (on possible separate
> LANs), and might change public and local IP-address at random.
> * All (server and clients) are running the dispatch router locally, and
> connect to the server's dispatch router address on startup
> automatically. (The server's address is currently hard-coded in the
> clients' dispatch routers' configuration)
>
> We have successful in getting clients and server communicate all with
> each other using the server's public address/port as the only known
> connection point in the system. All in all, things look very promising! :-)
>
> Now we are to move on to next steps. There are especially these features
> we need to make sure we support:
>
> a) Sending a message _from_ a device that is not presently on-line at
> the moment:
>
> Devices come on/off the net at unpredictable times and intervals.
> However, there might be messages _from_ the device that needs to be
> delivered to the server when it comes on. On the application level on a
> client, we just want to deliver a message to the local "message handler"
> (i.e. the dispatch router presently), and let the application program
> continue working without halt. For this functionality, is it right to
> assume that we need to implement the broker also, locally, as this is
> not a dispatch router feature?

You need something to periodically retry the connection and when 
successful send any queued messages. As you say dispatch router does not 
provide this.

The aim is for the proton messenger client to provide this sort of 
capability at some point in the future, but it isn't there yet I'm afraid.

You could use a broker co-located with your sender, provided it has the 
ability to establish outgoing reconnections over which it can deliver 
the messages when connected.

Alternatively you would at present need to build the logic yourself. You 
could do this as a specialised intermediary perhaps (rather than in the 
sending code itself). I.e. you would be building a very simple 
'broker'like thing, more specialised to this one role. This would be 
colocated with your sender and would do the storing of messages (plus 
any expiration needed), when they could not be directly forwarded to the 
gateway.

> b) Sending a message _to_ a device that is not present on-line at the
> moment:
>
> In case the device is not presently on-line, there will be no active
> route to it. However, it should still be addressable (aka. a
> "registered" device in the system), and messages for it (from any other
> device - server or other clients) should be delivered when it is (might
> be) back on-line. This relates to the previous point, but as far as we
> can see, for this to work, the router would need to know that the
> address for the device is still "legal" even though not on-line, and be
> able to deliver the message when it actually comes back on-line. As seen
> from the application program, the situation is the same as the previous
> point. Is it right to assume that we broker for this?

Yes, this is essentially 'store-and-forward' behaviour, which the router 
does not itself provide. One question, do senders generally care about 
if/when the actual receiver gets the message? or are they happy as long 
as it has been accepted into some queue pending delivery to the receiver 
when it comes back on line? Or perhaps the acknowledgement of messages 
is not that important but you would like to minimise loss?

> c) Time to live on messages:
>
> Every message should have a time-to-live parameter. I.e., if the message
> is not delivered before ttl is expired (ref above cases), the message
> can be discarded at the local "message handler" level. Is this AMQP/Qpid
> functionality; which components do we need to support it?

Both broker implementations support it, so if you do use a broker queue 
to store messages pending delivery then the ttl provides one means to 
limit the growth of that queue (which is a concern in both the send and 
receive case if the client is disconnected for a 'long' time, where 
'long' really depends on the size and rate of sending).

> d) Resuming large messages:
>
> The payload of messages could be up to (in really worst cases) several
> gigabytes. Is there AMQP/Qpid functionality at some level that makes the
> transfer resume (rather than restart) in case the is a network dropout
> during transfer? Where does this functionality exist?
> Broker/router/messager lib...?

The AMQP protocol supports this, but it isn't supported in the c++ 
broker, the dispatch router or I don't think the messenger client itself.

> Can the qpid broker replace all dispatch router functionality in these
> cases, or is it an addition to the dispatch router functionality?

The qpid router provides end-to-end acknowledgement, i.e. the sender 
gets an acknowledgement from the client, via the router, whereas a 
broker will give the sender an acknowledgement independently of 
delivering the message to a consumer.

The qpid router supports redundant routes between router instances, 
which helps building fault tolerance.  The c++ brokers federation does 
not do this.

Other than that you could replace the router with a broker if needed. 
However there is some work planned for the dispatch router that should 
allow it to work well alongside brokers. The implementation is not quite 
there yet however.

I hope this helps a little, your project sounds very interesting and I'm 
sure there will be many of the list willing to help and offer 
opinions/advice, so please don't hesitate to ask any further questions etc!


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@qpid.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@qpid.apache.org


Mime
View raw message