qpid-users mailing list archives

From Fraser Adams <fraser.ad...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: New draft of OASIS AMQP Management specification uploaded
Date Fri, 14 Feb 2014 12:50:13 GMT
Hi Again Rob,
I've had a skim through wd05, the QUERY stuff looks a little more
complete now, so that's good.

I've still got a few nagging concerns, one particular one relates to
things like:
para 3.4.1.1
para 3.4.1.1
para 3.4.2.1

and a few other places.

What I'm seeing is application-properties where the Value Type is a list
(usually a list of strings) I'm not convinced this is legal.

Looking at the AMQP 1.0 Specification:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/amqp/core/v1.0/amqp-core-complete-v1.0.pdf
Section 3.2.5 says:

Application Properties
<type name="application-properties" class="restricted" source="map"
provides="section">
<descriptor name="amqp:application-properties:map"
code="0x00000000:0x00000074"/>
</type>
The application-properties section is a part of the bare message used
for structured application data. Intermediaries can use the data within
this structure for the purposes of filtering or routing. The keys of
this map are restricted to be of type string (which excludes the
possibility of a null key) and the values are restricted to be of simple
types only, *that is, excluding map, list, and array type*

Even if it were legal AMQP it's a little dangerous because it would be
illegal for JMS too:

Message Properties:
Property values can be |boolean|, |byte|, |short|, |int|, |long|,
|float|, |double|, and |String|.

In addition to the type-specific set/get methods for properties, JMS
provides the |setObjectProperty| and |getObjectProperty| methods. These
support the same set of property types using the objectified primitive
values. Their purpose is to allow the decision of property type to made
at execution time rather than at compile time. They support the same
property value conversions.

The |setObjectProperty| method accepts values of class |Boolean|,
|Byte|, |Short|, |Integer|, |Long|, |Float|, |Double|, and |String|. An
attempt to use any other class must throw a |JMSException|.

I might have misinterpreted the intent, but as written in wd05 it
doesn't look legal.
Cheers,
Frase