qpid-users mailing list archives

From Fraser Adams <fraser.ad...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: Message API - Real world usage issue
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2014 18:04:44 GMT
Hey again Clive,
Hope that you are well.

I think that I might have made a little progress against your use case.

All of the previous comments on this email thread still hold in terms of
what has been said about queues, exchanges, bindings etc. Robbie's most
recent comment "I believe its really only conveyed in the address string
as a form of extension point offering some ability to leverage the AMQP
0-10 bind commands" is exactly it.

However as Robbie and myself suggested earlier the move towards AMQP 1.0
gives additional exciting options for message filtering in the form of
JMS style Message Selectors.

In your original scenario you tried to do:

    Rxer 1 - "queue1; {create: receiver, node:
{x-declare:{auto-delete:true}, x-bindings: [{exchange: 'amq.topic',
queue: 'queue1', key: 'bill'}]}}"
    Rxer 2 - "queue1; {create: receiver, node:
{x-declare:{auto-delete:true}, x-bindings: [{exchange: 'amq.topic',
queue: 'queue1', key: 'ben'}]}}"
    Rxer 3 - "queue1; {create: receiver, node:
{x-declare:{auto-delete:true}, x-bindings: [{exchange: 'amq.topic',
queue: 'queue1', key: 'tim'}]}}"

And you were hoping that a message with the subject "tim" would only end
up getting delivered to Rxer 3 and hopefully we've explained why that
isn't the case.

But let's try using Message Selectors. I'm using drain and spout because
I don't need to write any code but it should translate into what you are
doing. I'm using qpid 0.27 compiled off trunk about three weeks ago.

So starting with qpidd --auth no for simplicity I fire up the following
in three separate windows:

./drain --connection-options {protocol:amqp1.0} -b localhost -f \
"queue1; {create: receiver, link: {name: test-link, selector:
\"test='bill'\"}}"

./drain --connection-options {protocol:amqp1.0} -b localhost -f \
"queue1; {create: receiver, link: {name: test-link, selector:
\"test='ben'\"}}"

./drain --connection-options {protocol:amqp1.0} -b localhost -f \
"queue1; {create: receiver, link: {name: test-link, selector:
\"test='tim'\"}}"

What this is doing is to start up three separate AMQP 1.0 consumers that
all consume from queue1 and have Message Selectors that inspect the
property "test" for the values "bill", "ben" and "tim" respectively.

If you do qpid-config -r queues you'll see
Queue 'queue1'
     bind [queue1] => ''

I then do:

./spout --connection-options {protocol:amqp1.0} -b localhost --content
"Hello World" -P test=tim "queue1"

Which sends a message with the text "Hello World" and the property
"test" set to "tim" to the node addressed "queue1" e.g. to the queue
queue1 in this case.

When I do this happily what I see is nothing in the bill and ben windows
and

Message(properties={spout-id:aa92e8c4-3d12-40f6-bc89-8cabe91500e6:0,
test:tim}, content='Hello World')

in the tim window.

I sent the message 20 times and each time it only arrived on the "tim"
receiver.

Although Message Selectors were added as part of the AMQP 1.0 work it
seems that it also works in AMQP 0.10 because when I tried the following
it worked too.

./drain -b localhost -f \
"queue1; {create: receiver, link: {name: test-link, selector:
\"test='bill'\"}}"

./drain -b localhost -f \
"queue1; {create: receiver, link: {name: test-link, selector:
\"test='ben'\"}}"

./drain -b localhost -f \
"queue1; {create: receiver, link: {name: test-link, selector:
\"test='tim'\"}}"

./spout -b localhost --content "Hello World" -P test=tim "queue1"

So it looks like it's *nearly* what you are looking for. One thing that
I've *not* got working yet though is using the subject. I thought that

./drain -b localhost -f \
"queue1; {create: receiver, link: {name: test-link, selector:
\"subject='tim'\"}}"

./spout -b localhost --content "Hello World" "queue1/tim"

would work, but it doesn't seem to. It's likely to be something quirky
like the subject property needing some prefix or other, I don't know. If
I get a moment I'll have a look - or perhaps someone else may know the
answer.

Hope that helps. Do bear in mind that I've literally only spend 45 mins
or so messing with this so there may be gotchas and I've not
investigated the relative pros and cons of using a selector as a filter
off a queue node versus the more traditional topic style subscriptions
(you certainly run the risk of filling your queue up if "tim" stops
consuming though that might be fine if you use a circular queue). I
don't know the earliest broker version where this will work I *think*
Message Selectors were first added to 0.20 but you'd be best to use
something more recent if you want to try this approach.

I hope this helps a bit,
Frase