qpid-users mailing list archives

From Fraser Adams <fraser.ad...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: Documentation of C++ Messaging connection URL?
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2014 16:48:23 GMT
On 07/02/14 16:00, Gordon Sim wrote:
> On 02/07/2014 03:43 PM, Fraser Adams wrote:
>> I do rather wonder that for AMQP 1.0 if the URL could be improved to
>> accept something like:
>
> I think for consistency it would be better to drop the <proto> part
> and use amqp/amqps as the scheme there.

By proto in this case I was thinking of say an alternative transport
like sctp or infiniband or suchlike e.g.

amqp://guest:guest@sctp:localhost:5672

I'm *mostly* just thinking along the lines of how one could make this
part of the address the same as say Proton Messenger as I think that the
closer qpid::messaging and Proton Messenger Addresses look
(notwithstanding differences borne out by one being connection oriented
and the other message oriented) then ultimately the less confusing it's
likely to be for users.

There's clearly also the Java ConnectinURL to consider too, but again
from my perspective I'd quite like the maximum amount of cohesion - I'm
a bit simple minded and easy to confuse :-D

>> Which would make it look more like the first part of the Proton
>> Messenger style Address and because the amqp:// would distinguish it
>> from the AMQP 0.10 style URL you could use it instead of the
>> protocol/user/password connection options to signify AMQP 1.0.
>
> I don't object to accepting urls of the form above, but I don't like
> the idea of using them to imply protocol version. The same scheme is
> used by many things (including the qpid.messaging python client) for
> earlier versions.

when you say the same scheme do you mean that the python client uses
"amqp://"?

Fair enough comment. TBH I mainly mentioned it because when I was going
through my exercise of trying out various AMQP 1.0 subscribers I was
starting to find the:

--connection-options {protocol:amqp1.0}

A little bit less aesthetically pleasing than the sort of

amqp://localhost:5672

Addresses I was using with Messenger, so I was idly wondering if there
was a way to specify addresses of the same form on qpid::messaging so I
could avoid needing explicit connection options for being AMQP 1.0 and
the user/password stuff

If the amqp:// prefix isn't unambiguously 1.0 then I take your point, I

in which case amqp:// would have been different.

Cheers,
Frase