qpid-users mailing list archives

From "Shearer, Davin" <dshea...@novetta.com>
Subject Re: No transports are listening for incoming connections
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2014 16:21:22 GMT
Andrew,

Thanks for the help.  Your explanation is on the mark.  I'm disappointed
that I wasn't able to link the broker against static versions of the qpid
libraries, but its clear that they were never really designed to support
static linking (as we've discovered).

Instead of having to maintain a patch to hack in the transport plugins and
try to keep that current with upstream, I think what I'll do is build qpid
dynamically (the way it was designed), tuck the .so's safely away under
/opt/.../lib, put the executables under /opt/.../libexec and build little
shell scripts, for each executable, that redefine LD_LIBRARY_PATH, putting
our /opt/.../lib before anything else, then call the real executable in
/opt/.../libexec so that it prefers loading our version of the libraries
before the system's versions.  Do you think this is a sane "Plan B"?

I'll probably let it just use the system supplied boost libraries and make
that be a runtime dependency (and build-time dependency on boost-devel).  I
still prefer to link proton statically, but I may just pop the proton .so
into the same /opt/.../lib directory and be done with it.

-Davin