qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: How to use lifetime policies
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2014 10:24:26 GMT
On 01/09/2014 07:46 PM, Shearer, Davin wrote:
> I am trying to build a transport library in C using proton with support for
> a qpid broker.  What I need to do is create a reply queue.  The AMQP 1.0
> spec covers creating Dynamic Reply-To.  The problem I'm having is in
> garbage collection of the abandoned queues as these queues have a permanent
> lifetime policy.  If I were using qpid (rather than proton) I could simply
> have the client create the queue using a name of its choice with the
> DeleteOnClose lifetime policy and I also set exclusive to true and I get
> exactly what I need, but it this ties me to qpid.

You can create a temporary queue when using the qpid::messaging client
by simply specifying '#' as the node name in the address when creating
the receiver or sender. You can get the peer-assigned address (for use
in reply-to) via the getAddress() method on the Sender or Receiver
instance that is returned.

This uses completely standard AMQP 1.0 underneath - it sets the dynamic
flag on the source/target and by default will request the
delete-on-close lifetime policy (the others can be requested via
node-properties in the address).

Again, this is standard AMQP 1.0, nothing proprietary. It works with the
qpid brokers but also e.g. ActiveMQ, ApolloMQ, HornetQ and should work
with any broker that supports the dynamic flag.

Using proton messenger there is at present no way to set the dynamic
flag or control the source/target beyond the address.

With ApolloMQ you can create a policy that will be applied if the name
of the node matches, and that policy can specify the queue should be
automatically deleted. The qpid c++ broker supports something every
similar in the upcoming 0.26 (using the AMQP 1.0 lifetime-policy
options). This allows the desired behaviour to be configured broker side.

With RabbitMQ you could creating a receiving link from
/exchange/amq.direct/unique-name (where unique name is e.g. a client
specified UUID). That address can be given as the reply to, and when the
receiver exits there will be no queue left. Unfortunately this trick
doesn't work with the qpid brokers, which at present require the binding
to be specified as a filter.

So unfortunately at present I think it is not possible to do what you
want using the java broker and proton messenger. If you can use
qpid::messaging (which doesn't tie you to qpid brokers), that should
work. If you can't, then you can request changes to proton messenger or
- better in my view - request other brokers to support the policy driven
approach from ApolloMQ (and now qpid c++!).

(If I have got the wrong end of the stick and you are using the proton
*engine* API, then it is indeed possible. You just set the dynamic flag
on the terminus for the link. I can point you to the code in
qpid::messaging that does this if it is of interest).