qpid-users mailing list archives

From Fraser Adams <fraser.ad...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: Serious Bug in AMQP 1.0 JMS Client with persistent messages
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2014 20:27:29 GMT
On 08/01/14 18:55, Rob Godfrey wrote:
> Hi Uli,
>
> To enable synchronous publishing you need to either set the Java system
> property "qpid.sync_publish" to true, or have sync-publish=true as one of
> the URL options in your connection URL.
>
> I agree it should be the default, and we can look to change this in a
> future release.

Hmm, I'd really rather you didn't do that. Async behaviour has been the
default behaviour with Qpid from year dot. so changing it is pretty
likely to bite someone nastily.

I'd agree that async behaviour technically means that by default Qpid
breaches JMS guarantees, but TBH I think it's a little late in the day
now to be going switching the default. It's also make the default
behaviour inconsistent with qpid::messaging which doesn't seem ideal.

As we've discussed before not everyone has guaranteed delivery right up
there at the top end of things they give a damn about, in my case it's
all about performance and I can take the hit if I lose the odd message -
plenty more where they came from :-) I probably wouldn't be wildly
amused to upgrade to Qpid version "x" only to find a massive performance
regression that might force me to get a non-trivial number of clients to
change some bit of config. or other.

Frase