qpid-users mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Can you please help to clarify my doubts in HA cluster managing
Date Mon, 06 Jan 2014 20:56:20 GMT
On 01/06/2014 12:35 PM, Steve Huston wrote:
> Hi Xiong,
>> Hi All,
>> Here is a newbie to QPID.
> Welcome!
>> I am planning to setup a HA cluster with the QPID
>> as its underlying messaging layer. After going through all Apache QPID online
>> documenation, I am unable to find the solution to my following
>> question:
>>     How can an Exchange on the Passive Node in the cluter knows that it
>> resides in a passive broker and need to handle incoming messages
>> differently that when it has been actived as primary node?
> The active broker will receive all the messages.
> The usual way this is handled is for a virtual IP address to be assigned for the cluster's
brokers - the address is assigned to the node where the active broker is running. Thus, all
connections to the virtual IP address go to the active broker.
>> Can we get such information with C++ API classes? I have checked class
>> Connection, Session and Message. They seem not having such API calls.
> The API doesn't know about HA, by design.

That's correct, HA replication and failover are intended to be transparent to
the client code.

If you are interested in the gory details of how HA replication, failover etc
are implemented, you can take a look at the source code, start from

If you're more interested in just using the HA features then I'd start with the
qpid book:

Good luck, shout if you run into difficulties.