qpid-users mailing list archives

From uromahn <ulr...@ulrichromahn.net>
Subject Serious Bug in AMQP 1.0 JMS Client with persistent messages
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2014 18:38:08 GMT
I believe I found a serious bug in the current (latest version from source)
qpid-amqp-1-0-client-jms library.

I think the client violates the delivery guarantee of JMS with persistent
messages.
Here is my test:

1. Start a qpid-cpp broker. Create a persistent queue on that broker
2. Start a test Java application using the amqp 1.0 JMS client. The
application will write 10,000 persistent messages into the just created
queue.
3. After some time while the client is still writing messages into the
queue, I kill the broker (kill -9 <pid>) simulating the worst disaster
scenario
4. My client code throws an exception and reports 4,963 messages sent
5. After re-starting qpidd, the queue statistics reports only 4,816 messages
in the queue!

Here are some of the relevant code snippets from the client:

// Creating a Session
Session session = brokerConn.getConnection().createSession(false,
Session.AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE); // NOTE AUTO_ACKNOWLEGE does not have any effect
with nessage producer
// Create a destination
Destination dest = session.createQueue(queueName);
// Creating a MessageProducer
MessageProducer msgProducer = session.createProducer(dest);
msgProducer.setDeliveryMode(2); // 2 == persistent

And then in a loop 1000 times with a random TextMessage I call:
msgProducer.send(msg);

So, as you can see, nothing special here.

So, it looks like the client is sending the message to the broker and the
"send(msg)" method returns *before* either the broker acknowledged receiving
and persisting the message, or the client does some internal caching.

By the way, I see the exact same issue when using ActiveMQ 5.9.0 as the
broker using the AMQP connector.
However, it is also possible that the bug is within the proton library on
the server side which is being used in both the qpid-cpp broker (proton-c)
and ActiveMQ 5.9.0 (proton-j) to support AMQP 1-0.

I already created a JIRA to report this potential bug: