qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Using AMQP 1.0 in a C# application
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2013 16:06:12 GMT
On 11/21/2013 02:37 PM, wayne wrote:
> Hello, I need to add AMQP 1.0 client-side support into an application but am
> not having much luck.  I have been able to compile the AMQP 0.24 C++
> org.apache.qpid.messaging.dll but it throws an exception when I use it in
> the send/recv sample application.  I was also able to compile the Proton
> library but it fails all 4 tests.  I would like to get some questions
> answered which will help direct me as to what I should do next.  First off a
> list of the requirements of the project I am working on;
>
> 1) The client is written in C#
> 2) The client will connect to an Apache based AMQP 1.0 (only) Broker
> 3) The client side needs to support failover (preferably in the AMQP
> library)
>
>  From what I have read both Proton and QPID 0.24 support AMQP 1.0.  That
> said, when I build QPID 0.24 it tells me that it can't find Proton therefore
> AMQP 1.0 support is not enabled.  This made me think I should just use
> Proton.

Proton is really two things. It contains a protocol engine, which is
used by the qpid::messaging client (and the qpidd broker) to provide 1.0
support. It also contains a standalone client called messenger.

To build qpidc with AMQP 1.0 support you need to point to the installed
proton libraries. There were some building/linking issues fixed for
windows recently.

>  If I go the Proton route I would have to implement my own C#
> wrapper where QPID already has the C# wrapper.
>
> A few of the questions I have are out of scope of this forum but I have them
> included in case someone has the answer.  And here they are;
>
> 1) Given my requirements should I use QPID or QPID Proton and why?

The qpid::messaging API is connection-oriented. You control the
connections, sessions, senders and receivers (aka links) which gives you
a little more control.

The proton messenger API hides the connections, sessions and links from
you. You just send and receive messages with addresses in them.

So really its a question of which style you prefer or whether there are
specific features that are required.