qpid-users mailing list archives

From Jakub Scholz <ja...@scholz.cz>
Subject C++ broker: AMQP 0.10 versus 1.0 performance
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2013 10:47:37 GMT
Hi,

I played with the latest trunk version of the Qpid C++ broker. I noticed
some interesting differences in the performance of the 0.10 and 1.0 clients.

When producing the messages, my C++ client (qpid.messaging) was able to
produce the messages (persistent message, 1024 bytes of message body, no
special application properties) using 0.10 with a speed of almost 9000
msg/s and almost 9MB/s. The same client with 1.0 was all the time faster
with speeds around 12000 msg/s and 12MB/s. That isn't so surprising - at
the end the protocols are very different on its own and the implementations
are different as well.

What was more interesting, was the performance of the message receivers
(which were always run after the producers, not in parallel) which seems to
be dependent on the protocol used to produce the messages. When I produced
the messages with AMQP 1.0 and received them with 1.0, I was reading at
slightly under 6900 msg/s and 6,9MB/s. But when the messages were produced
with 0.10, the speed increased to more than 9000 msg/s and 9MB/s. That is
quite a big difference in my opinion. When the messages are received with
0.10, the difference seems to be much smaller, but it seems to be there as
well. But this time, the messages are consumed faster when originally
produced with AMQP 1.0.

Is this something what can be explained by the internal processing of the
messages in the broker?

Thanks & Regards
Jakub

PS: The tests were done on my laptop. Therefore the performance values on
its own are quite bad.