qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: C++ broker: AMQP 0.10 versus 1.0 performance
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2013 11:51:17 GMT
On 10/24/2013 11:47 AM, Jakub Scholz wrote:
> I played with the latest trunk version of the Qpid C++ broker. I noticed
> some interesting differences in the performance of the 0.10 and 1.0 clients.
>
> When producing the messages, my C++ client (qpid.messaging) was able to
> produce the messages (persistent message, 1024 bytes of message body, no
> special application properties) using 0.10 with a speed of almost 9000
> msg/s and almost 9MB/s. The same client with 1.0 was all the time faster
> with speeds around 12000 msg/s and 12MB/s. That isn't so surprising - at
> the end the protocols are very different on its own and the implementations
> are different as well.
>
> What was more interesting, was the performance of the message receivers
> (which were always run after the producers, not in parallel) which seems to
> be dependent on the protocol used to produce the messages. When I produced
> the messages with AMQP 1.0 and received them with 1.0, I was reading at
> slightly under 6900 msg/s and 6,9MB/s. But when the messages were produced
> with 0.10, the speed increased to more than 9000 msg/s and 9MB/s.

I did a few quick tests and on my laptop I'm seeing the reverse. I.e.
receive rate is slower in 1.0 if the messages being consumed were
originally sent with 0-10 as compared with when the were sent with 1.0.

Can you give a little more info on the test configuration? Does the
queue used have any special config? Did you compile proton with a
specific BUILD_TYPE? Are you using a test utility of your own or using
qpid-send/qpid-receive?