qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Flow Control for JMS Durable Subscribers
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2013 09:31:15 GMT
On 10/17/2013 10:19 PM, Andrew Grissom wrote:
> I have a Java client using the JMS interfaces that connects to the
> qpid C++ broker to receive updates on a topic.   I need to make this
> subscription durable, which is pretty easy using the straight JMS
> calls.  However, the problem I have is how do I handle clients that
> do not cleanly remove their subscriptions or do not connect for an
> extended period of time?  I can prevent this somewhat by using the
> TTL values but is there a way to switch the broker from rejecting
> messages when a queue is full to using the ring policy?  Is there a
> better way to handle this situation?

Just fyi, as of 0.24 there is also a 'self-destruct' policy which if
used in place of ring here will result in the subscription queue being
deleted when it hits a limit, which will in turn kill the subscription.
I.e. you can handle slow consumers by throttling/restricting producers,
dropping messages or killing those slow consumers.