qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Qpid Dispatch Router component
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2013 11:19:28 GMT
On 10/11/2013 11:52 AM, Rob Godfrey wrote:
> On 11 October 2013 11:54, Gordon Sim <gsim@redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> Second, the code in Dispatch Router is in theory designed around a toolkit
>> for building  AMQP 'containers' of different kinds, with the router being
>> one such example (another might be a proxy focused more on enforcing ACLs
>> at the edge). In theory this could be viewed as an API of sorts. However I
>> think at this point its better viewed as a sensible desire for some
>> internal structure and separation of concerns. A publishable 'API' is in my
>> view some way off and would require a lot of work that would at this point
>> distract from the main goal, which is to define the behaviour of the router
>> and implement it.
>>

> This would be really cool... though I would hope/think this would lead to a
> spin-off new component for the toolkit rather than being part of Dispatch
> itself?

That would make sense to me, though I think we should cross that bridge
if and when we ever come to it. (E.g. if a new component emerges that
wants to reuse some of the same codebase).

>  As such (and for the reasons you also allude to) I would think
> this would not be a goal of Dispatch itself, but rather some sort of stated
> aim and guiding principle of the development.

To me, the focus has to be on demonstrating the vision (and proving it
works and has value). The rest is just good programming practice
(modular design, with minimal coupling and maximum cohesion).

>  Going off-topic a bit I
> guess... but would we see such a framework as having multiple
> implementations (in different languages) or only in C?

Again, to me the language used is secondary to the goal of proving the
concept with real, deployable software. I do think that the
communication patterns on top of AMQP between routers should be very
clearly spelled out to allow clones or alternative implementations
following the same rules to be developed if anyone anywhere has the
desire to do so.