qpid-users mailing list archives

From Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Qpid Dispatch Router component
Date Thu, 10 Oct 2013 13:35:54 GMT

On 10/10/2013 04:38 AM, Rob Godfrey wrote:
> My main concern is that I believe that Qpid should be primarily
> directed at implementing AMQP standards, and building resuable
> toolkits and components that fit into any AMQP network. I'd be very
> concerned if we were inventing alternative management protocols, or
> building components that only interoperated with other Qpid tools. So,
> personally I'd like to see statement around components saying that
> they will be fully implementing emerging AMQP Management, AMQP
> addressing, etc. standards, and that we as a project then ensure we
> stick to these goals.

Rob,

Here's where I'm going to have to disagree with you in principle. I
believe that Qpid should be primarily directed at innovating with AMQP
and helping to drive the AMQP standards where appropriate.  If Qpid
doesn't do it, somebody else will.  I should point out that almost
everything we do here is well ahead of the standards, including the JMS
client.

The thing I object to in your statement is the direction of flow from
the standard to the implementation.  Standards bodies _do not
innovate_.  If the emerging standards are such that a particular
valuable innovation cannot be done, the standard needs to change or be
ignored.  Qpid must not allow itself to be put in the position of meekly
sitting and waiting for the tablets to come from on high before
implementing.

So here's my proposed statement regarding Dispatch:

Qpid Dispatch is an implementation of an AMQP-compliant router. Dispatch
is pursuing a specific approach to routing and addressing that may
differ from other approaches.  The implementation will conform to all
relevant emerging standards (Management, Addressing, and Security) to
the extent that it is practical.  In the event that there are parts of
the specifications that are not practical to implement, we shall provide
specifics to the standards committee in an effort to improve the
specifications.

-Ted