qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Qpid Dispatch Router component
Date Thu, 10 Oct 2013 10:46:00 GMT
On 10/10/2013 10:58 AM, Rob Godfrey wrote:
> I think the point of Qpid (vs. any other messaging
> implementation at Apache or elsewhere) is to implement the AMQP
> specification.

I have no disagreement when the AMQP specification is what is currently
published.

My concern is where that is defined to be an expanding, all-encompassing
effort that ring fences whole areas of behaviour and sets itself up as
the only legitimate avenue for exploration.

Expanding beyond the current specification needs a more diverse source
of ideas and a more open, transparent and collaborative process.

[...]
> I think that any such efforts at de-facto standardisation
> must first reach out to other AMQP implementers and ensure there is a broad
> agreement on direction.  If the Qpid project can be a vehicle for doing
> this, then great - however currently that is not how Qpid is operating and
> I would be very concerned at us trying to claim any sort of work done
> within Qpid as a "de-facto" standard.

Indeed and that of course is a straw man since no one is suggesting that
we claim any such thing.

However I would be very concerned if the OASIS TCs, with such limited
representation, were enshrined as authorities over any and every aspect
of work they choose to start.

At present there is sadly no AMQP-wide community. While Qpid is far from
perfect, it is at least, as an Apache project, founded on the  ethos of
open, community driven collaboration. It has rules for governance that
provide the means to correct deviations from that. Everything we do
should be open and subject to debate and consensus.

Reaching out to - and collaborating with - other implementations and
communities is something I personally feel we must do more of in order
to realise the promise behind AMQP. Starting those discussions here
seems like one (though certainly not the only) reasonable way to begin
however.