qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Building C++ broker persistence?
Date Mon, 07 Oct 2013 08:58:18 GMT
On 10/05/2013 11:15 AM, Fraser Adams wrote:
> Hey all,
> To be honest I don't tend to use persistence much as my requirements
> tend to be more performance than reliability leaning, but it has just
> struck me that recent qpid builds seem to have a different approach than
> previously.
>
> Back in the day IIRC I ended up getting the store from here
> http://qpidcomponents.org/download.html
>
> But I *think* there's something in the main repo now - I noticed a
> directory "../qpid/qpid-trunk/qpid/cpp/src/qpid/legacystore", however
> I've also noticed on doing a fresh "cmake .." to build with Proton the
> cmake results say "Legacystore is excluded from build."

I'm guessing one of the dependencies is not installed or perhaps that
some assumptions in the cmake build are unintentionally platform specific.

You should be able to get a better message if you force
BUILD_LEGACYSTORE on.

> Is there any documentation for this anywhere? I couldn't see any links
> here: http://qpid.apache.org/components/cpp-broker/index.html nor here:
> http://qpid.apache.org/releases/qpid-0.24/cpp-broker/book/index.html
>
> BTW the broker book still says:
>

>     1.1.  Running a Qpid C++ Broker
>

>       1.1.1.  Building the C++ Broker and Client Libraries
>
> The root directory for the C++ distribution is named qpidc-0.4. The
> README file in that directory gives instructions for building the broker
> and client libraries. In most cases you will do the following:
>
> [qpidc-0.4]$ ./configure
> [qpidc-0.4]$ make
>

> Should probably be updated with cmake now that autotools has been
> deprecated.

Yes, well spotted, thanks for highlighting that! I've raised a JIRA:

> Am I just being thick or are there really no references about
> building/enabling C++ broker persistence? (The README and INSTALL don't
> cover it either).

Now that the code is all in the same tree (for both windows and linux)
we should be able to do a much better job. I've raised a JIRA for this
also: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-5208

> Also what are the differences between "legacystore"
> and the original one from qpid components. To be honest the name
> "legacystore" doesn't *really* inspire confidence either, is this
> suggesting that there's another, somehow better, persistence store - if
> so where?

You certainly make a good point. AFAIK the reason for that name was the
desire to update the store to be fully asynchronous
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-3858)

> Sorry for being a pain - I blame starting to play with Proton for
> causing me to pay more heed to various messages :->

You are most definitely not being a pain! Pointing out the problems is
the first step in getting them fixed. I've marked the JIRAs above as
blockers for the next release.

I'm hoping someone volunteers to address them, but if not I'll get them
fixed before the first RC (Justin, keep me honest!).