qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject proton messenger performance (was Re: QPID AMQP Performance test)
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2013 10:08:22 GMT
On 09/30/2013 05:57 PM, amitg90 wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> i am new to QPID, after downloading the software from website, i used the
> sample example code (recv.c and send.c) and modified on send side to
> continuouly send 64 bytes packets from machine A and on recevie side on
> machine B grabbing the packet and checking how much packets i received per
> sec and i am not able to see more than 18000 packets per sec (throughput
> 10Mbps).
>
> being a 1Gbps link between two machines i was hoping for more throughput
> coming out of it..
>
> i ran standard TCP performance test and it get close to 800Mbps throughput.
>
> can someone please suggest if there is something obvious that i am missing
> or there exist some performance script which help me understand what is
> causing low throughput..

There are two test programs that report throughput and latency for
different scenarios. The executables are built under
<build>/tests/tools/apps/c/ and are called msgr-send and msgr-recv.

E.g. for a one-way test, start

/tests/tools/apps/c/msgr-recv -c 1000000

then in another console:

/tests/tools/apps/c/msgr-send -c 1000000 -b 64

The message size is controlled with the -b option. You can vary the
batch size for send with -p option. You can also run a two way test,
where the receiver echoes the messages back using the -R option to each.
By default messages are sent presettled, you can change that by setting
a non zero outgoing window with the -w option.

On my laptop, over loopback, I get about 50k 64 byte msgs/sec using the
default batch size of 1024. With a batch size of 1, that drops to about
25k msgs/sec.

Rafi, Ken, can either of you give an indication of what you would expect
to see?