qpid-users mailing list archives

From Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Automatic queue cleanup
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2013 19:32:03 GMT
Hi James,

Rob meant they would be evicted from memory if required (see [1] for a mail
that covers some background on a semi-related topic), the messages will
still be in the persistent store until they are removed from the queue.

The Java broker currently supports the following ways of removing messages
from queues:
1) Consuming them.
2) Expiration due to TTL.
3) Deleting/moving them using the management interfaces.
4) The queue itself being deleted.

If the messages being sent are persistent, the data/headers for these can
exceed theJVM heap size, but the broker requires heap memory to service
connections, to store non-persistent messages in their entirety, and to
store all the objects for queues etc and the messages on them (whether
persistent or not). You will need to size the JVM heap according to your
requirements, considering elemetns such as how many connections there will
be, how many messages you might expect to be backlogged, are there
non-persistent messages, etc etc. Using a 3-6GB heap can be fairly typical,
but what you need will depend on your use case. Out of interest, do you
have an idea of how many (and what type, size etc of) messages were on the
broker when it ran out of memory?

Robbie

[1]http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/qpid-users/201304.mbox/%3CCAFitrpR906nHnYb1RQnYTvVzpkChzEohYF6iGDQJ0rj4-bOYFQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E