qpid-users mailing list archives

From Keith W <keith.w...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Qpid Java Broker - Master Failure and Recovery
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2013 08:50:28 GMT
Hi James

> I am able to get the BDBHAMessageStore bean and set the
"DesignatedPrimary"
attribute to true for the replica server in the case the master fails.  What
else do I need to do for the replica to take over as master.  Do I need to
set anything else?  Do I need to cycle the replica or will it take over the
master role simply by setting attributes to tell it that it is assuming the
master role?

Setting designatedPrimary to true using the mbean is all that is required.
You will see the node transition to the MASTER role and at that point
transactions will begin to commit successfully at that node. Keep in mind
that the change to the designatedPrimary flag is *not* persisted to the
config, so if the node were to be bounced, the primary desigination would
no longer apply and it would not re-take the master role.

Once you are ready to restore the master to operation, you currently need
to cycle both servers to get the system back to the business as usual
state.  There is a piece of work underway to improve the HA integration, so
this should became more elegant in a future release.

Hope this helps, Keith.