qpid-users mailing list archives

From Rob Godfrey <rob.j.godf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Automatic queue cleanup
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2013 20:53:05 GMT
Hi James,

if you are using persistent messages sent to durable queues then the Java
Broker should be able to evict the message content from memory when low
memory conditions are reached (though it does retain some overhead for meta
data relating to the entry of the message on the queue).  Messages not
marked as persistent will retain all their content in memory (and thus if
not restricted by other means, such as TTL, or producer flow control),
excessive queue size may cause out of memory exceptions.

In terms of controlling the amount of message data retained by the broker
in memory, there are currently a number of steps you could take... firstly
- as above - ensuring that you are using persistent messages.  Secondly you
can use TTL to cause message expiry (if this is appropriate for your use
case).  You can also use producer flow control to enforce (approximate)
limits on how large queues can grow.

Unfortunately the Java Broker does not yet implement all the queue policies
that the C++ Broker implements... in particular there is no way of limiting
the size or depth of a queue, and discarding messages in either a FIFO or
LIFO manner - is this the sort of functionality you would be looking for?
I know Alex produced a patch at some point for implementing ring queues in
the Java Broker, but we've not yet seen a great deal of demand for this
behaviour... however I believe Fraser outlined a use case where it might be
useful, and possibly you also have such a use case

-- Rob