qpid-users mailing list archives

From "Jimmy Jones" <jimmyjon...@gmx.co.uk>
Subject Re: System stalling
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2013 14:16:16 GMT
> > I've got an simple processing system using the 0.22 C++ broker, all
> > on one box, where an external system posts messages to the default
> > headers exchange, and an ingest process receives them using a ring
> > queue, transforms them and outputs to a different headers exchange.
> > Various other processes pick messages of interest off that exchange
> > using ring queues. Recently however the system has been stalling -
> > I'm still receiving lots of data from the other system, but the
> > ingest process suddenly goes to <5% CPU usage and its queue fills up
> > and messages start getting discarded from the ring, the follow on
> > processes go to practically 0% CPU and qpidd hovers around 95-120%
> > CPU (normally its ~75%) and the rest of the system pretty much goes
> > idle (no swapping, there is free memory)
> >
> > I attached to the ingest process with gdb and it was stuck in send
> > (waitForCapacity/waitForCompletionImpl) - I notice this can block.
>
> Is there any queue bound to the second headers exchange, i.e. to the one
> this ingest process is sending to, that is not a ring queue? (If you run
> qpid-config queue -r, you get a quick listing of the queues and their
> bindings).

I've run qpid-config queue, and all my queues have --limit-policy=ring, apart
from a UUID one which I presume is qpid-config itself. Are there any other useful
debugging things I can do?

> If there was a queue to which messages were enqueued that started to
> apply rpoducer flow control, then that would block your ingest process
> (and since the messages are still coming in, the broker would spend all
> its time just removing old ones to make space).

I'd expect the broker to use less CPU when discarding messages rather
than shipping them to consumers? But I'm saying that without much knowledge
of the code!