qpid-users mailing list archives

From Ken Giusti <kgiu...@redhat.com>
Subject Please read: Change to C++ broker default behavior wrt QMF
Date Fri, 12 Jul 2013 19:17:27 GMT
Folks,

I've made a change on trunk to the way the C++ Broker generates unsolicited management update
messages (i.e. object update notification messages and event messages). [1]

Previous to this change, the broker would transmit two messages for each management event
and object update - one in the old QMFv1 binary format, and one in the QMFv2 AMQP Map format.
This change disables the send of the QMFv1 binary version of the message.  The new broker
default behavior is to send only one message per event/update, in the QMFv2 map format.

The old behavior can be re-enabled, but must be done manually.  This can be done either on
the qpidd command line by specifying "--mgmt-qmf1=yes", or in the configuration file (mgmt-qmf1=yes).
 This command option has existed for a while now, I've simply changed the default to "no".

And just to be clear, the remaining QMFv1 behavior has not changed: the broker still supports
QMFv1 style queries and method calls without requiring any configuration changes.

I want this to go in for the 0.24 beta so we can get feedback sooner rather than later.  I'm
hoping this acts as a "gentle nudge" that will uncover any QMFv1 dependencies before we attempt
removing any of the QMFv1 stuff in future releases.

"What does this mean to me?"

1) If you use console.py (the python QMF console library under extras/qmf/src/py/qmf/console.py),
you'll want to upgrade to the latest version to get the fix for this bug: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-4689
 (the version in the 0.24 beta will contain this fix)
2) If you cannot upgrade console.py, or have other code which requires QMFv1 style updates,
re-enable the old behavior as described previously

Justin - when beta is cut, we'll need to highlight this change and the above notes in the
announcement email.

This change also solves https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-4907

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1502642