qpid-users mailing list archives

From Fraser Adams <fraser.ad...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: Management Tools - Web interface
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2013 15:18:21 GMT
On 07/06/13 15:11, Bruno Matos wrote:
> Hi Fraser,
>
> Thank you.
> I'm glad that it's already there, sorry to ask, but I searched in the
> web site and didn't find anything about it there.
>
> Regards,
> Bruno Matos
As I say, it's now in the trunk. It hasn't made it into the up-coming
qpid 0.22 release, but it should make it into 0.24. For info the 0.22
release will feature some nifty changes to the web site - though I guess
it still won't mention the GUI 'cause it's not in 0.22.

To date there aren't massive differences to the last version attached to
the original Jira post, mainly tweaks and some tidying up. Since I
actually committed it I've spent most of my available time doing the
Java Broker QMF stuff. TBH I think that was a wise move because getting
a grip on management is one of the "strategic" things that needs to be
properly sorted and as much by accident as design (I started out doing
the Java Broker QMF plugin as a bit of fun to see if I could :-)) it
ended up stirring things up a little and giving some decent food for
thought.

There's an awful lot of changes afoot wrt. management, Rob Godfrey has
been beavering away at OASIS on the AMQP 1.0 Management Specification -
you may have seen his post a few weeks ago? Trying to evolve towards
that without breaking all the existing QMF tooling is going to be an
*interesting* journey :-) I'm still musing over it (AKA procrastinating
big time).

Another thing that's likely to start happening more is increasing
"componentisation". So that's already happened with Proton, but I think
it's likely to happen with other aspects (including/especially) management.

In many ways the Java Broker is way ahead of the curve there because of
the plug-in architecture (It turned out to be surprisingly easy to write
the QMF plugin despite having no experience of the Java Broker and a
slightly moving target as the plugin API evolved). Unfortunately the QMF
stuff in the C++ broker is somewhat more coupled in with the core broker
code base. I think there's a general view that it'd be good to decouple
and move it to a plug-in, but I'm not aware of any concrete plans on
that front yet. IMHO that's a pretty essential prerequisite for moving
towards AMQP 1.0 Management as plugins/shims are our friends when it
comes to "dual-stacking" QMF and AMQP 1.0 Management. Unfortunately my
C++ is currently rusty/lousy so I doubt I can help there.

Hopefully you are still finding the UI useful? Unfortunately it got me a
bit hooked on HTML5 and I've recently got a bit sidetracked trying to
push the boundaries a bit, one of my side-projects is an HTML5 VNC
client that I'm messing with as a forerunner to having a go at doing an
HTML5 X11 Server - unfortunately there aren't enough hours in the day to
do everything I'd like :-)

Cheers,
Frase