qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Website update 4
Date Tue, 14 May 2013 08:45:22 GMT
On 05/10/2013 05:39 PM, Justin Ross wrote:
> Update:
>      http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-05-10/
> Previous versions:
>      http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-04-16/
>      http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-04-03/
>      http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-03-26/
>      http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-03-13/
> Head version, for following things as they change:
>      http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/head/
> The source code and README:
>      https://github.com/ssorj/transom
>
> Some bigger changes:
>
>    - Added scripts to generate release notes
>    - Added link to EAP 6 instructions in JCA page
>    - Added QMF api doc
>    - Add pdfs to book-generation scripts
>    - Updated the messenger doc snapshot
>    - Added messenger and protocol engine API doc in C, python, and java
>    - Added messenger examples in many languages
>    - Added make target and instructions for publishing content
>    - Improved the developer center
>    - Added 0.22 release content
>    - Overhauled the scripts for generating release content
>    - Added jms examples
>
> To better show the proposed launch state, I've made 0.22 the current
> release in the preview site.  As a result, some of the links won't
> work because they point to things (such as a release tag) that don't
> exist yet.
>
> I'd like to hold a vote in about a week on replacing our current
> website.  I'll have time for another update in the meantime, so please
> let me know about any changes you'd like to see.  In particular, take
> a pass through the component page for the parts of Qpid you are
> familiar with.  I'd love to get some detailed corrections and
> refinements.

I think it is great!

The one change regarding components I would suggest is for the JCA
adapter. It states 'Qpid JCA - A JCA resource adapter for Qpid brokers'
which is not really correct... there is nothing intrinsically that ties
the JCA adapter to Qpid brokers. The adapter is really adapting the JMS
client to a JEE application server environment. There may of course be
current limitations around the protocols that it can use (which may
effectively limit the brokers you can use it with).

As far as the home page goes, I think the JCA component would fit better
in the 'build (rather than 'deploy') section. I see it as providing an
API to AMQP from within a JEE environment.

Being picky, the overview page could maybe benefit from a mention of JMS
("Each vendor had its own messaging API and its own wire protocol",
"AMQP is the first open standard for messaging").

But this is a big improvement and I would wholeheartedly vote to adopt
it as soon as possible.