qpid-users mailing list archives

From Jakub Scholz <ja...@scholz.cz>
Subject Re: Website update 2
Date Sun, 07 Apr 2013 22:35:13 GMT
Hi Justin,

First of all, the new website looks much better then the current one - it
has much more modern and elegant look. It will definitely leave a lot
better first impression on new visitors :-). Thanks for the good job. But I
still have some points which can be IMHO improved (from my personal view)

On the front page, the main space looks nice and gives a quick overview.
But the right column seems to me a bit chaotic. The ">>-Developers!->"
button looks strange due to the different font and the use of special
characters. The Apache links above the button look ok, but is there some
reason why they are in the right column on the front page and at the bottom
on every other page? Wouldn't it be better to have it consistent across all
pages? The "Resources" section kind of mirrors the menu on the top, but it
has slightly different structure. On the top menu you use the "Resources"
button to link to the page with links to blogs etc. But in the right
column, this is named "More" and you use "Resources" as a name for the
subsection. And then there are the sections "Qpid" and "Qpid Proton" in the
right column. The "Qpid" contains only some links while the "Qpid Proton"
contains an explanation what Proton is. I would probably add some similar
explanation to the Qpid as well. It kind of makes me feel that Qpid is only
the project name and Qpid Proton is the actual product name.

Also, is there some reason why the background on the front page is
different from the other pages? Fully white on the front page versus the
coloured frame on the rest of the pages?

What I'm missing on the front page is some quick access to the
documentation as was on the old site. Now you have to go to components,
select the component and only then you can get the documentation. I think
it would deserve a faster access. I also didn't found any way how to get to
the trunk documentation - is there some link I missed or is it not planned
to have one?

It would be also great to have the search button more highlighted - it is a
bit lost right now in the upper right corner. And having some search input
field immediately on the site without needing to go to the search page
first would be nice as well :-).

I have also one technical comment ... the site is often moving few pixels
left or right when moving from page to page. It is not a big issue, but it
doesn't look nice. It happens for example if I click between "Download" and
"Components". (Chrome 26.0.1410.43 on Windows 7)

Thanks & Regards
Jakub