qpid-users mailing list archives

From Justin Ross <jr...@apache.org>
Subject Website update 2
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2013 23:12:31 GMT
Update:
    http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-04-03/
Previous version:
    http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-03-26/
Head version (if you want to follow things as they change):
    http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/head/
The source code:
    https://github.com/ssorj/transom

I have a feeling the most noticed change will be the page width.  It's
now set to a max width just a hair wider (leftmost to rightmost
character) than our current site.  In addition, it scales down to fit
comfortably in one half of a wide desktop display or a mobile device
in portrait.

There remain plenty of things to do:
https://github.com/ssorj/transom/blob/master/TODO.  Check there to see
if the thing you'd like to have is still incoming.

Topics for discussion:
  - Should we rename AMQP Messenger (and its buddy) to Proton
Messenger to clarify the link to the toolkit?
    - Alternatively, should we give up on treating messenger and
protocol engine as peers to jms and the messaging api, etc., and just
call it the "Proton component"?
  - Is "Component" a terrible name for an end-user-facing,
independently usable, independently documented Qpid subunit?  Do you
have suggestions?

Changes:
  - Content:
    - Many of operational links on the right have been "bubbled down",
simplifiying the right side of the front page
      - I intend to restore some of these under the currently
stubbed-out developer page
    - Avoid personal pronoun in project statement
    - Employ Rafi's language for user scenarios in the intro text
    - Make download the primary entry point for qpid release content
    - Add site, wiki, and jira search under a consolidated search interface
    - Make it clear from the messenger and protocol engine component
pages that they are part of proton
    - Retarget download links in previous releases at archive.apache.org
    - Add or clarify trademarks
      - The big title still needs one; it's blocked on an xml/unicode problem
    - Under components
      - Use "servers" instead of "brokers"
      - Add a tool section, and move QMF there
      - Add a JCA component, also under tools
      - Note in JMS component that 1.0 is a separate artifact from the
other versions
    - Under download
      - Restore the AMQP prefix to proton components
      - Note that some artifacts are bytecode, and link to source
      - Move the verification text and more-ways-to-get-qpid link here
  - Navigation
    - Add persistent top nav
    - Path navigation is displayed only when you're deep in the tree
and need it to know where you are
    - Promoted apache links on the front page to the right hand column
  - Many style tweaks

Thanks!
Justin