qpid-users mailing list archives

From Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Website update 2
Date Sun, 07 Apr 2013 19:04:22 GMT
On 5 April 2013 16:43, Justin Ross <jross@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi, Alex.  Thanks for the comments.
>
> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 6:57 PM, Oleksandr Rudyy <orudyy@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Justin,
> >
> > The new version looks really nice. Well done.
> > However, I got a couple of minor comments.
> >
> > General remarks:
> >
> > I do not know if it is me (may be I am getting older and more
> conservative
> > :) ) but I would decrease slightly the size of the fonts. They look
> bigger
> > than I get used to.
>
> I agree.  While I think modern websites do make the fonts a little
> bigger, this still a little bigger than I prefer.  I have competing
> concern, however.
>
>   http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/narrow.png
>   http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/wide.png
>
> In both of these renderings, I've reduced the font to the size I like
> better.  In the wide layout, it produces a big gap in the middle that
> I think looks bad.  That's why I bumped the font size up a little in
> the current version.  If the wider layout with the smaller font works
> for you, I can go back to that.
>
> > Front page.
> >
> > I would like to suggest to remove couple of redundancies which appeared
>  in
> > the new version of the site:
> > - The download button in the right top corner seems like does not bring
> > anything new as there is already download link in the top menu.
>
> In this case, I think the redundancy may be justified.  The download
> operation is high priority, one of the main things folks coming to our
> site want to do.  That's why I consider it justified.

I dont mind there being an additional 'high visibility' download link, but
something about the way it is now also doesn't sit that well with me.

Download Now, perhaps? Maybe a slightly different colour from the rest of
the content to make it stick out more?

> - The phrase "Qpid is an Apache <http://www.apache.org/> project" seems
> > like another duplication as the title of the site does not leave any
> place
> > for doubts that it is not an Apache project. Maybe it can be replaced
> with
> > the link to AMQP site? I would move the link to Apache main web site into
> > Apache sub-section below.
>
> Okay.  I like it there because that block is a concise statement of
> our project.  But of course, you're right, there's no shyness about
> the Apache connection.

I remember adding that kind of statement on the existing site, im fairly
sure the project branding guidelines say it should have something to that
effect.

> > Also, I would improve the Developers link. It looks like an incorrectly
> > written html comment for me. I would make it similar to the sections
> above
> > ("Apache", "Resources", "Qpid Proton" etc.) and put some links
> underneath,
> > for example, link to road map page (if we are going to maintain it
> > accurately), qpid_project_etiquette_guide.html, code styles?, etc.
>
> I'll work on a different approach.  At this point, I don't want to
> promote project etiquette and that kind of thing to the front page.
> I'm planning to instead link that stuff off the developer home.
>
> > I got a question about documentation for previous  releases. There are
> > links to the current documentation on each component page. But what about
> > the links to the documentation for previous releases? Have I missed it?
>
> In the new site, all the version-specific documentation is collected
> under its corresponding release.  For example,
>

> http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/head/releases/qpid-0.20/index.html
>
> http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/head/releases/qpid-0.20/messaging-api/cpp/api/index.html
>
> (Note that I haven't regenerated all the docs for releases before 0.20.)
>
> There is a link to the release index at the bottom of the download
> page.  I'm at adding in addition some text at the top of the download
> page pointing to previous releases, and your comment here has started
> me thinking about how to do it under the component pages.

Yeah, I also found it rather difficult to locate the prior version
documentation (and indeed the prior releases arent that easy to find) if
you dont already know where they were.