qpid-users mailing list archives

From Bill Freeman <ke1g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Questions from a novice
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2013 18:37:23 GMT
On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 2:09 PM, Ken Giusti <kgiusti@redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]

If it has already arrived in the console process, then the bandwidth has
already been used, and it makes little difference whether I filter it or
the underlying console code does.  I'd been thinking that, if at the time
the session is set up, the console did not subscribe to the V1 queues (or
should I say bind to the V1 exchanges?), then V1 updates wouldn't get sent
over the wire.  (In fact, I have half a memory somewhere that if nobody
subscribes to the queues, the broker saves its own resources and time by
not issuing the updates.)

> Personally, I'd like to see the default behavior of the broker changed to
> only send V2 updates, rather than both.  People who need v1 would have the
> option of turning it on.  Too late to ask for that for the next release,
> but I'll add a JIRA and try to get that into the following release.  Or at
> least add an option to filter v1 at the console.

There is the hazard that someone using some V1 tools will have a hard time
deciding why, after an upgrade, things have stopped working.  After all,
the broker still supports V1 (if their knowledge is that deep).  I'm only a
contractor where I'm doing this, and I might easily have finished the
project with V1.  It's not clear who will understand deeply enough after
I've moved on.

Bill